In some cases a cyst on baby brain is detected in the fetus in the womb. It is not always a reason to worry, because the cyst can disappear on its own.
Causes of cyst on baby brain
The cyst on baby brain can be caused by injury or infection of the fetus, complicated pregnancy or childbirth. Often the appearance of the cysts causes the herpes virus.
The development of subependymal cyst on baby brain is more serious pathology. It appears as a result of insufficient blood circulation in the area of the cerebral ventricles. Brain tissues die, and a cavity appears on their place.
Another pathology – arachnoid cysts, which have different shapes and sizes. In addition, the cyst on baby brain often formed as a result of meningitis or other inflammatory processes. Also, this might be due to a trauma or hemorrhage. In most cases the cyst does not grow into the ventricles of the brain. But it is necessary to take into account that the cyst can develop further, and after a time the begin is to squeeze the nearby areas of the brain.
Diagnostics of a cyst on baby brain
To diagnose a cyst on baby brain up to a year ultrasound is enough. It’s quite a good time for such a procedure because the fontanel has not closed yet. Most often such ultrasound procedure is prescribed for preterm infants. In addition, cranial ultrasonography should be performed in case of complicated course of pregnancy and childbirth, which are accompanied by fetal hypoxia.
If a choroid plexus cyst was diagnosed, then do not worry, because such formation are usually gone themselves. Their presence does not affect development of the baby brain. It is very important to identify the infection, which was the reason for the development of the cyst. In a few months you need to do ultrasound.
In case of subependiamal cyst on baby brain, patient also does not need specific therapy. Brain tissue over time will come to the normal state, the baby needs only to be observed by a doctor. However, if the cystic cavity increases and the fluid pressure raises, quite serious consequences are not excluded.
Arachnoid cysts require close attention. In this case drastic measures are necessary. The formation needs constant observation at the neurologist. Doctor can appointed a surgery. The cyst can be removed by one of the following methods – endoscopic, microneurosurgical or bypass surgery.
In general, treatment of cysts is chosen depending on the cause of its formation. Non-dynamic cyst of the brain does not require treatment. If you found a dynamic formation, treatment may be as follows:
- Conservative treatment. It involves the use of drugs, the effect of which is aimed at eliminating the causes of the cyst. It can be drugs reducing blood supply absorbable spikes. It is also sometimes antibacterial, immunomodulatory, anti-viral medications. The need in them arises in case of infections and autoimmune diseases.
- Radical treatment. It involves removal of the cyst through surgery. For this purpose, craniotomy or endoscopy are held. However, in the latter case, the threat of infection increases with the long-term presence of the shunt in the skull.
Complications of the disease
A large cyst of the brain can affect the location of surrounding tissues, squeezing them. This pathology appears in a child in the form of seizures, which progresses. The cyst may increase neurological symptoms, deterioration of general condition. In addition, this process is sometimes aggravated by hemorrhagic stroke.
If diagnosis and treatment are not correct, the cyst of the brain can lead to quite serious consequences. These include the following:
- Violation of motor coordination and motor function.
- Visual and hearing impairment.
- Hydrocephalus, which implies an excessive accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the ventricles of the brain.
- Encephalitis – belongs to a class of diseases characterized by inflammation in the brain.
- The sudden death.
Cyst brain is a rather dangerous diagnosis, which requires consultation with a competent expert. Some types of cysts do not need special treatment, while others may require surgery. Therefore it is so important to diagnose the disease and decide on methods of therapy on time.