A brain cyst is a dangerous disease. The cyst looks like a bubble filled with fluid. It can be located in any part of the human skull. The cyst may cause unusual pain or grow without symptoms. To find a brain cyst, you need to use a brain MRI or CT scan. If your doctor has discovered a brain cyst, then you need to listen to his recommendations and follow them. In many cases the cyst needs to be removed by surgery
The main causes of brain cysts
Causes of brain cysts:
- Congenital anomaly. Sometimes the baby in the womb does not receive enough nutrients. Even a child can get damaged, because of which the brain will develop incorrectly.
- There are parasites in the brain;
- Traumatic brain injury (head contusions or fractures);
- Degenerative or dystrophic changes in the brain. The bone tissue changes a lot. In some areas of bone tissue grows a cyst of the brain;
- Severe circulatory disorders in the brain.
Types of brain cysts
- Arachnoid cyst of the brain. This cyst is located in the arachnoid membrane of the brain. The cyst cavity is filled with cerebrospinal fluid. Most often, an arachnoid cyst can be found in adolescents and young boys
- A colloid cyst. A cyst is formed due to embryogenesis. This cyst can stay in a person’s head all their life and not bother them. This disease can be detected without diagnosis if the cyst blocks the current liquor. The cyst may be the cause of hydrocephalus. Colloidal cyst should be detected as early as possible, because it causes sudden death of a person.
- Dermoid cyst. This cyst appears in a person even in childhood. It begins to grow suddenly and press on certain parts of the brain. The cyst looks like a bubble, inside of which are different human tissues: hair, nails, teeth, fat. It is better to remove such a cyst immediately with an operation.
- Cyst of the pineal gland. The cyst develops in the epiphysis of the brain. There is a cavity inside the cyst. A cyst disrupts a person’s vision, coordination of movements, and metabolic processes in the brain. Cyst of the pineal gland may be the cause of hydrocephalus.
Symptoms of brain cysts
The cyst of the brain can be small or large. Cysts are small in most cases does not manifest itself. Large formations can squeeze the lining of the brain, causing neurological symptoms, the following:
- violations of hearing or vision;
- sleep disorders;
- hyper- or hypotonia one muscle or muscle groups;
- the noise in my head;
- convulsions, loss of consciousness;
- the feeling of pulsation in the head;
- tremor of the extremities;
- children found regurgitation, vomiting, swelling and throbbing fontanelle.
severity of the clinical picture depends on the localization of cysts. On the occurrence of certain symptoms is influenced by the fact, on what part of the brain cyst is pressing.
Diagnostics brain cysts
To find a brain cyst, you need to undergo an MRI scan of the brain or a CT scan. This medical examination will help determine the size of the cyst and where it is located.
To determine the cause of a brain cyst, the doctor needs to conduct several studies.
Research of cyst of brain:
- Doppler study of blood vessels. This procedure is performed to detect narrowing of blood vessels that are present in the brain. Their narrowing can cause a lack of oxygen in the brain and is one of the reasons for the formation of cysts.
- Analysis of blood clotting and cholesterol.
- Blood pressure monitoring.
- Blood tests for autoimmune diseases and infections. This study was conducted when multiple sclerosis, neuroinfections, and arachnoiditis were suspected.