According to the medlineplus website, a cervical cyst, which is also a nabothian cyst, is a lump filled with mucus, which is situated on the surface of the cervix. The cervix is located at the lower end of the womb (uterus) at the top of the vagina. It is about 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) long.
In fact, a cervical cyst is a formation that clogging the glands. To understand the process of its formation better let’s come to the details of a female body’s structure. The inside of the uterus is covered with epithelium. It has numerous glands. The main function of it is the mucus production, which is implemented with special ducts.
For some reason a woman may have malfunctions glands. This leads to the clogging of the ducts and the appearance of formation, which is a kind of bag filled with liquid. And this is a cervical cyst. As a rule, it has white or yellowish color. The size of a cervical cyst can vary from a few millimeters to a few centimeters. The disease is very common (almost every tenth woman has it), it is more typical for women of childbearing age.
Causes of a cervical cyst
There is a variety of factors, that have a negative impact on women’s health. But a cervical cyst mainly appears due to:
- menopause, in which mucus exudes in large quantities. The ducts do not have time to bring the liquid and therefore clog.
- injury during surgery and childbirth;
- infections that cause inflammation in the cervical glands.
Not every woman can immediately understand that she has a cervical cyst. Symptoms generally can be unnoticed for a long time. And it figures, because the formation of a few millimeters can cause noticeable discomfort or cycle disorders. Problems begin when a cervical cyst grows to several centimeters. Symptoms in this case may be as follows:
- bleeding not related to menstruation;
- aching pain in the abdomen;
- pain during sex;
- itching, odor, specific allocation that may indicate the presence of infection.
A cervical cyst can be detected at a regular gynecologist visit with the help of colposcopy or ultrasound. If there is diagnosed a possibility of having the disease, the doctor should take smears on oncocytologic and urogenital infections.
What is the treatment
If a cervical cyst does not cause discomfort and does not disrupt the female organs, the surgery is not required. The situation should be solved under the specialist control. A woman should regularly visit the gynecologist. A big-sized cervical cyst is recommended to remove. In itself, the removal is not a complicated procedure and it does not there is no need for in-hospital rehabilitation. Getting rid of the cyst may done by the popular following ways:
- Using puncture. The cyst is punctured by a special device or a doctor manually. Its content is removed, and the damaged area is treated with disinfectants.
- Cryodestruction. It is painless removal of liquid nitrogen with essentially freezing.
- Laser method. It allows to carry out the operation very carefully and avoid severe bleeding.
- Chemical moxibustion.
- Electrocoagulation – exposure to a cyst with electric current.
- Thermal cautery.