Sometimes the knee, inside the joint capsule, there is a limited area, which is filled with synovial fluid, thereby causing it to bulge place as swelling. Such a tumor is diagnosed as “Baker’s cyst.” It may be invisible, but it is always an obstacle for bending the legs, and if the disease is ignored, it can lead to rather sad consequences. Therefore, later in this article we will talk about what symptoms have Baker’s cyst behind the knee how to treat the disease and how it can be dangerous to humans.
How manifests itself cyst Becker
It is not always people suspect named in his tumor, as a third of patients, it occurs virtually asymptomatic. Signs of the fact that at the foot of developed Bekker’s cyst behind the knee, the following:
- the appearance of pain and stiffness when driving in the popliteal area (leg more difficult to bend);
- the appearance of swelling in the popliteal fossa, the ball reaches the size of a ping-pong table;
- pain often goes on the calf muscles;
- In addition, the detected violations of the sensitivity of the sole of the foot.
The most accurate information is given ultrasound and MRI that will detect even a small tumor, still does not manifest itself.
Which is why there is a cyst Becker
It should be clarified that Baker’s cyst behind the knee does not appear by itself. Typically, its occurrence precede other pathologic processes with an inflammatory or degenerative nature. These include excessive load on the knee joint, cartilage injuries in the knee injury, as well as arthritis, arthrosis, synovitis, osteoarthritis, and so on. N.
In most cases the popliteal cyst can be found in people with a history of knee injury or regularly subject it to load. These include athletes, loaders and other representatives of heavy physical labor.
Becker cyst in children
In medicine often recorded cases when there Bekker’s cyst behind the knee of the child. This is due to the fact that the children’s age, usually accompanied by multiple bruises knee, sprained ligaments and meniscus damage that, as you know, can provoke the appearance of cysts.
It is noted that the most susceptible to this disease are children between the ages of 4 and 7 years. Among other things, they often occur and self-healing, so finding a cyst in a child, the doctors do not hurry up with the final verdict, but prefer to observe how the tumor will behave, and only then choose the method of its treatment.
The consequences of untreated cysts Becker
itself Bekker’s cyst, reviews about the treatment that we propose later in this article, is not a dangerous disease, but its complications can cause significant harm to health. These include:
- The gap cysts. It can cause painful swelling of the back of the leg, redness and itching.
- Compression cyst veins. This is very dangerous as it causes poor circulation in the lower extremities and causes the development of thrombophlebitis. The limb becomes edematous, it becomes purple. A blood clots, in turn, entails the risk of stroke or even death as a result of their separation.
- Compression of the nerve bundles. This can lead to malfunction of the limbs and the formation of necrotic areas in soft tissues that are hard and long treated.
- festering. It can affect joints purulent arthritis or osteomyelitis – severe inflammation that can lead to blood poisoning.
So if you have suspicions on the development of cysts Becker should urgently consult specialists without waiting for severe and irreparable consequences.
Bekker’s cyst behind the knee how to treat
Treat Bekker’s cyst is usually in the department of traumatology and orthopedics, but more attention is not itself neoplastic, and that the disease, which triggered his appearance. To get rid of the cyst, there are two methods – conservative therapy and surgery, if necessary combined.
Drug therapy is used if Bekker’s cyst behind the knee has a small volume and not peredavlivaet vessels and nerves. The patient was prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs in the form of tablets, injections and compresses. Such treatment is often not conducive to healing of the patient, and serves only as an aid to surgery or thereafter.
Some rules to be followed by the patient with a cyst Becker
But Bekker’s cyst behind the knee often causes severe pain when moving, and sometimes at rest, and in order to facilitate it, is to follow a few rules.
- give the rest of the knee as much as possible. To do this, at the slightest opportunity to sit down and avoid strenuous exercise, such as running, lifting weights, sit-ups, and so on. N.
- During leisure leg should lift by placing a pillow under it so that it is at or above the hip.
- On the cyst should apply ice compresses to relieve pain and slow down its growth. Ice be wrapped in a towel and only then from 10 to 30 minutes to keep the affected area.
- The knee should fix the elastic bandage, paying attention to not form below the bandage leg edema. The possibility of wearing a bandage necessarily need to agree with the doctor!
- After treatment, the cyst will have to get rid of excess weight, as every excess kilogram has a serious strain on the knees and can cause relapse.
Surgical treatment of cysts
One of the treatments is also the puncture of cysts: under anesthesia from it using a special needle pumped liquid and injected hormonal anti-inflammatory agent (“Triamcinolone”, “Berlikort”, “Diprospan”) establish a process allowing tissue repair. But, unfortunately, if heavy exercise or injury and will not be excluded, this procedure will be repeated.
In a situation when the pathology begins to complications removes cysts Becker. To do this, under local anesthesia, an incision is made through which the tumor was removed and, after bandaging it in several places. Recently, for the operation using an arthroscope – apparatus, causing minimum damage to the joint and do not leave behind large scars.
Do I need to see a doctor at the diagnosis “cyst Becker”
Currently, more frequent are cases in which it is very difficult to establish the root cause that caused the occurrence of the disease described. In addition, as already mentioned, Bekker’s cyst behind the knee symptoms for a long time and can not be, not only in medicine were cases when it is resorbed by yourself.
So, finding her in his leg, you decide, it may be that we should wait? No! No way! As we have already said, not the cyst is dangerous, and the complications it entails. So do not delay the campaign to the doctor. Do not tell yourself, be sure to do it later. The fact is that complications occur suddenly completely, and only yesterday seemed normal leg is becoming a major source of problems. Do not play with fire and be healthy!